A few months ago, I found the Google Cultural Institute while looking around for a few of Google’s initiatives and I have to say that this is my all time favorite thing that google has ever done. As a person who believes wholeheartedly in the power of experience through media, I love that users can take a virtual tour of a plethora of cultural cognizant artistic and historical pieces.
- Click the dropdown next to Explore and visit featured projects like World Wonders which takes users on a Google streetview tour of “The World’s heritage sites” like the Taj Mahal while also connecting users to specific cultural artifacts
- For every adult who ever convinced kids that street art was garbage, there is a specific exhibit which takes users on a journey of experiencing street art from a global perspective
- Create your own gallery and share it.
- Use the compare feature to create a side by side view of two different works which will certainly drive discussion.
- Women in culture…Interactive, full of content yet so much more yet to be included!
- Visit the Google Open Gallery, (you’ll find a link from the home page on the right), which is a platform aimed to help artists, museums and galleries bring their content online!
Combine Global Galleries with the Google Translate Extension
The beauty of having something as significantly accessible as the google translate extension is that when experiencing artistic perspective from another culture, translating is only a click away!
I make a point to visit this one site daily and I learn something new every single time. The world is not necessarily within my physical reach but with tools such as this, it’s always a click away.